Day 30: I Am Home

December 10, 2011

On the Road

Last night, before we went to bed we made a difficult decision. Not a life-death or always-regret decision, mind you, but a decision that we had been chewing on for a few days.

We decided not to go to Big Bend.

Big Bend was our original destination of West Texas before heading to Austin to spend Thanksgiving with my best friend. I’ve heard it’s wild and rugged and there is supposed to be a wonderful little ghost town called Terlingua nearby but we are learning that we can’t see everything. It’s a difficult lesson. Sometimes it leaves me feeling like a child wondering if I should have picked the mint chip over the cookies-n-cream.

It’s a good problem to have but on mornings like this, driving east instead of south, my insides stretch and twist. We could fit it in if we leave early enough but that would mean two looooong days of driving, a rushed visit, a big gas bill, a husband who can’t work due to lack of internet.

Trying to fit it all got me in a lot of trouble in the past. A tired, overwhelmed, and anxious wife/mama/friend is not a lot of fun. So east it is and Big Bend will have to wait.

We packed up and headed out of Marfa. For having mixed feelings about the town I was sure sad to go. Driving east on the I-10 we passed hundreds of miles of golden ranch land speckled with windmills.

Halfway to Austin we pulled into a rest stop and decided to stay the night instead of continue on to the next campground.

I experienced a funny sensation, we all did, that night. After dinner we played a game of Clue and began to get ready for bed.  Being with my family in our cozy RV, I forgot we were parked in a noisy rest stop near the interstate. I forgot we were in Texas. I forgot we had traveled nearly 1500 miles from home because I was home.

I am home at a rest stop. I am home in Walmart parking lot. I am home in a driveway. I am home at a campground.

I am home because we are together.

Love and Laughter,
Jenn

Related posts:

, ,

About jennincat

I'm Jenn and I'm so happy you stopped by our little corner of the web. My favorite moments are cuddling with my boys, listening to the purrs of my cat, and sipping warm cups of tea. The smell of orange blossoms conjures up delightful memories of childhood even though I grew up in Indiana hundreds of miles from citrus groves. I love animals and when I'm stressed I dream of owning a goat farm. I love art, road trips, books, and food. Vintage clothes make me ridiculously happy. Red lipstick is my friend.

Subscribe to our newsletter to receive free travel updates and inspiration to live more simply and fully.

12 Responses to “Day 30: I Am Home”

1. Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) Says:

Beautifully expressed. Just lovely. I have so much awe for what you are doing.

2. Mom Says:

Beautifully said….

3. Dave Jacobs Says:

It’s as simple as that. Thanks Bob.

4. Dave Jacobs Says:

Oh, sorry Jen…I thought this was from Bob Harper. But still…thanks.

5. Jess Says:

What a great feeling.

6. Mariza Says:

You are in Texas! And I just left Texas! We’ve been in Florida for less than a week. After a few days of being in Florida, I actually forgot we were in Florida. I thought we were still in Austin, TX! It was strange. I guess because I was inside of my home and it all felt the same. You are so right! This is home!

• jennincat Says:

Mariza! We just left Austin about a week ago! I would have loved to meet you. We will be heading to Florida in the beginning of Feb or end of Jan. Maybe our path will cross!

7. Teresa Says:

We’ve been to both – Big Bend was ok – not sure that we gave it enough of a chance – we drove through it. BUT we loved Terlingua – neat little place if you ever get the chance again.

Hi Jenn
    You can’t do it all at once. There have been trips that I have been upset that we couldn’t see a place thinking I would NEVER get back. Years later I have been to many of those places. So these days I don’t let it bother me too much. Especially since some of the places I was disappointed with – but not all of course!

We are home because we are together too! Love that – well said!

By the way – we actually spent quite a bit of time at Fort Davies – great little town – the state park is super and they have the McDonald Observatory – the star party at night was a life highlight.

• jennincat Says:

Thank you Teresa for sharing. It’s good for to that from experienced rv’ers. I was very sad to miss Terlingua. I really hope we get to go back to West Texas aside from my constant fear of rattlesnakes ;-) I LOVED it. Next time I’ll make sure we see Fort Davies! Thanks again!