The Birthday Beast

August 30, 2011

On the Road

When I was a little girl I used to tell my mom that someday I wanted to drive across the country in an “old junky convertible”.

She always asked me “Why does it need to be junky?”   That still makes me giggle.  At 10 years old, I already dreamed of being on the road.

Everyday that childhood dream gets a little bit closer.

Sunday was my birthday and I got a BEAST of a present.  It’s not junky.  It’s not a convertible.  It’s not really even all that old.

Our new to us 2007 Chevy Silverado diesel, long bed, crew cab truck.  (That’s a mouthful.)

I can’t believe I own a truck.
(It really belongs to Brent and I but since we got it on my birthday we are calling it “my birthday present”.)

Confession, it doesn’t feel like “me” and I’m terrified to drive this beast.

I have no clue why I decided to sit on it.

I’m trying to “own it” but it feels like playing make-believe.  Let’s see…I’ll pretend I’m a cowgirl working on a ranch.

I drove it once yesterday and ended up parking far far away so I had plenty of room to swing this bad boy around into a space.  Then it took me 10 minutes to back this beast out.  I’m going to have to take xanax every time I drive it.  Wait.  That would bad.  Very bad.

Now we are trying to decide if we should do a veggie oil conversion.  Brent’s all for it.  I’m on the fence.  It sounds fantastic but I’m wondering if the reality would be more trouble than it’s worth.  If anyone has any experience with “going veg” we are all ears!

love and laughter,
jenn

Related posts:

About jennincat

I'm Jenn and I'm so happy you stopped by our little corner of the web. My favorite moments are cuddling with my boys, listening to the purrs of my cat, and sipping warm cups of tea. The smell of orange blossoms conjures up delightful memories of childhood even though I grew up in Indiana hundreds of miles from citrus groves. I love animals and when I'm stressed I dream of owning a goat farm. I love art, road trips, books, and food. Vintage clothes make me ridiculously happy. Red lipstick is my friend.

14 Responses to “The Birthday Beast”

1. Andrea@WellnessNotes Says:

Happy belated Birthday!!! What a present! It’s HUGE, but I’m sure you’ll be more comfortable driving it soon! No clue about the veggie oil conversion, but I’m curious what you’ll decide.

2. Amanda Says:

You look beautiful in that truck!

I would most definitely require a xanax after parking that thing. It looks like it would take some time getting used to!

3. Jess Says:

For some reason it’s nicer than I imagined. You guys are going to look like legit RV’ers on the road. Happy Birthday! You can say, ” Just call me Rosie…. or Large Marge.”

4. Boyink Says:

I’d hold off on the veggie just you. You’ve a lot of re-learning to do (how to move, how to find RV parks, how to drive the new truck) and IMHO dealing with a veggie conversion is going to be too much. Make sure this is something you want to do long-term before going that route.

• bnims Says:

Thanks again for the insight Boyink… look forward to seeing you somewhere on the open road!

• Dad Says:

I agree with Boyink; you have so much to do just to prepare to leave. After you get on the road, you could investigate it further and even stay at a “good place” to do the conversion if you do indeed decide to make the move to veggie oil.

5. janetha Says:

Happy belated! I HATE, LOATHE, DESPISE driving large vehicles =/

6. Dad Says:

Nice! That’s a seriously chromed bumper! It doesn’t quite seem like you yet, but after you get the cowgirl hat…

7. Mom Says:

Your dream is about to come true….and your ride isn’t even junky ;) Very nice.
    And to think you have three wonderful guys to share it with, 2 dogs and one cat who is King.
    Are you still considering the horns on the hood ??? hehe

8. charlotte Says:

Happy Birthday!!! What a great present! And you look adorbs in that skirt and top! Perfect for trucking;) As for the oil conversion, I recently listened to an NPR story about all the problems with it (mechanical issues I believe) but I can’t find the link now so take that for what it’s worth, lol. Enjoy!

9. StefaniZ Says:

Hi Jen and Happy Birthday! So glad you and Brent found a truck, and a pretty nice one at that! It took me a while to get comfortable driving Mark’s truck and I still park in “pull-through” spots when I can because I hate backing it out. The hardest thing is getting used to how long it is but I’m sure you’ll be a pro in no time :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. | Newschool Nomads - September 9, 2011

[…] the Thrifty Thread Thursday.  I promise there will be plenty of pictures of places we visit and diesel trucks in the near […]

2. Thrifty Threads Thursday: Downtown Ventura Edition | Newschool Nomads - October 13, 2011

[…] not my car.  Remember, I have a big old diesel truck.  I’m such a poser. […]