Sold Our RV!!!!! And RV Makeover Pictures. (Better late than never!)

There has been a lot of change lately. First, I found out I was pregnant. Whoa!!! Next we visited our hometown, Ventura, CA, after two years of living on the road and decided we wanted to stay on the road. (Our decision to keep our family on the road full time deserves its own post.)

Then Saturday we had stopped for propane on our way out of Austin when I checked my email. In my inbox was a message from a couple who really wanted to see our RV which I had listed on Craigslist a few days before not really thinking I’d get a response. Posting the ad was kinda of a “let’s just see what happens” sort of thing.

Undecided if we should just keep on driving, we sat in the parking lot of the propane place discussing whether I should call the number in the email. My first response was no let’s just keep going. Afterall, we just had 10 wonderful days at our friend’s house and had spent the morning packing, cleaning, and saying our goodbyes. We were ready to move on and get to our next destination, New Orleans. Then Brent said I could call the number and just explain our situation and they could meet us on our way out of town, assuming, of course, they wouldn’t want to do that.

I called the number and the person who answered told me it was the wrong number. I sent an email explaining I tried calling but the number was wrong and we were headed out of Austin. I mentioned if they got the email soon they could call me back. Then we headed on our way.

A few minutes later my phone rang and a woman explained she and her husband were really interested and they could meet us right away. Thirty minutes later, after a mad cleaning spree, we were showing the RV. Thirty minutes later they made an offer.

What?!?!?!

That was Saturday and they couldn’t get a check until Monday or Tuesday so we went back to my best friend’s house. Sunday morning the buyers sent over a deposit. Today, we spent the day trying to pack up all of our stuff into a much too small U-Haul trailer.

Now here we are still in Austin waiting and wondering….what have we done?!?!?!  Yes, we wanted to sell this RV. It’s been on our radar since we found out we were having another baby and deciding to stay on the road. The back bedroom is a little cramped for Thing One and Thing Two. We want a double slide out in their room so they can have their own space to study, create, and play. We’d also love a little more counter space and a second bathroom. If budget wasn’t a limiting factor, we’d also have a washer and dryer, bathtub, and kitchen island. A girl can dream! Right now our priorities are a bigger back bedroom and a space where Brent can work.

BUT…

What’s next? Unless we find a new rig here in Texas in the next few days we are going to head to Florida with our stuff in a U-Haul. We’ll stay at my parent’s place until we find a new home.

AND…

Even though we have wanted a new RV for a few months, I’m still sad. Really sad actually. This RV is our home where created incredible memories and tomorrow we will say goodbye.

I realized this weekend as I was cleaning the RV up getting her ready to go I never shared pictures of our RV redecorating makeover project.

Like most RVs, ours was lacking in decor. If we were going to use our RV for the occasional weekend trip we would have kept our RV interior design as it was but this was our home. Brent and I wanted to feel like we were in our home and not staying at a hotel. So we spent the next month and a half sanding, painting, sewing, and doing some minor remodeling. It was a lot of work but I don’t regret a minute of it.

This was our home and how we brought it to life.

Living/Dining/Kitchen

RV Before Living Room

RV Redecorated Living Room 2

RV Before Bedroom

RV Redecorated Living Room 3

RV Recovered Couch 2

You know you have good friends when they spend 12 hours at your house helping you reupholster your RV couch. I got the fabric for the couch, dinette, and most of the curtain fabric in the LA Garment district, one of the most fun places in LA!

RV Redecorate Kitchen

RV Fruit BasketMeow Cow the Black Cat

Since we have a small fridge I try to buy lots of fruits that will keep at room temperature.

livig-room2

LEFT: The chandelier was the the last thing to be hung. It was another Ikea purchase from years ago that I had been planning to hang in our house bedroom. I hung it at midnight the night before our “open house“. RIGHT: Small details

livig-room3

TOP LEFT: Glass bowl from Target that has since cracked. BOTTOM LEFT: School books and a basket to store dish towels. RIGHT: Small vintage globe on loan from my mom. :-)

livig-room1

LEFT: Apron hooks from World Market. MIDDLE: Map garland was a gift from a friend who I met for the first time in person when we hit the road. RIGHT: Bird curtains and wall sconce. We painted the metal of the sconce and glued a little trim around the bottom of the shade to give it character.

living-room-4

LEFT: This is the moulding around the slide. It was covered in the same fabric as the couch. Instead of taking all the fabric off, I took of the wood trim and stapled burlap over the fabric and painted the wood. TOP RIGHT: Key holder from Urban Outfitters. BOTTOM RIGHT: Glass knobs on all the kitchen cabinets. I really liked these because I had the same knobs in a different color in my sticks and bricks kitchen so they felt “homey”.

Bedroom/Office

RV Before Bed

RV London Bridge Headboard

towerbridge

In place of the headboard we painted with help from another friend a silhouette of the London Bridge. We were engaged in London and that morning after I said “yes” we walked along the Thames River where we took this picture. The quilt was made by my grandmother using an Amy Butler pattern and fabric.

IMG_9352

Across from the bed is our dresser, office, and shower. When we bought the RV there was a sink where the desk is now. We bought an small Ikea sink and put it in the water closet (toilet room).

RV Shower Before

IMG_9371

RV Remodel Curtains

My friend, the same one who helped with the couch, helped me sew (Okay…she did most of the sewing.) new curtains for every window in the RV but these turned out to be my favorite.

bedroom2

LEFT: I didn’t keep many things from our old house but couldn’t part with this metal cat that I found at a thrift shop. It opens up and I store jewelry in it. RIGHT: The knobs and drawer pulls were on sale at Anthropologie and I love having impressions of nature inside since a big part of this trip is about exploring the outdoors.

bedroom1

LEFT: When Brent and I met he said, “we fit together like Legos”. For our first Valentine’s Day I made him the “I <3 U” out of Legos because we were too broke to buy each other real gifts. We eventually decided to quite celebrating Valentine’s Day altogether but he still kept my Lego message.  TOP RIGHT: I painted an old mirror white and bought some organizers from Ikea to make a little makeup vanity. RIGHT: It’s true. :-)

Bathroom

RV Before Toilet

IMG_1230

IMG_1240

We didn’t do much to this room except paint and add the the Ikea sink. Changing the sink plumbing was much easier than you would think!

IMG_1234

The photo frames are a mixture of Ikea purchases and painted thrift shop finds.

Bunk Room

RV Before Bunk Room

IMG_1246

Thing One wanted to keep all the cabinetry its original color but we painted the room and made new curtains.

bunkroom

Two years and 48 states later, I never got tired of nor regretted our RV makeover. It made it home.

Now it’s time to say goodbye and move on to a new chapter and another blank canvas.

Love and Laughter,
Jenn

If you enjoyed this post you can follow one of three ways! 1. Sign up to have posts emailed to your inbox. 2. Subscribe to the RSS Feed or 3. “like” Newschool Nomads on Facebook  Simple dimple!

Like food and fitness? Follow along as I film a workout in every state and explore finding a healthy balance on the road at Girl Heroes!

Related posts:

, , , , ,

About jennincat

I'm Jenn and I'm so happy you stopped by our little corner of the web. My favorite moments are cuddling with my boys, listening to the purrs of my cat, and sipping warm cups of tea. The smell of orange blossoms conjures up delightful memories of childhood even though I grew up in Indiana hundreds of miles from citrus groves. I love animals and when I'm stressed I dream of owning a goat farm. I love art, road trips, books, and food. Vintage clothes make me ridiculously happy. Red lipstick is my friend.

Subscribe to our newsletter to receive free travel updates and inspiration to live more simply and fully.

32 Responses to “Sold Our RV!!!!! And RV Makeover Pictures. (Better late than never!)”

1. Stephanie Says:

I never really post, but just had to say how beautiful you’re RV remodel is! Thank you for sharing. I enjoy so much reading about your adventures and feel so excited for what’s in store next! Much love and many blessings to your beautiful (and growing) family!

2. Katie Says:

Oh how I love following along on your adventure!!
    And, hey, you never know…we may meet up in Florida one day (our destination of choice when these snowbirds fly south for the winter!!)

3. Nikki Says:

So get ready for the next makeover! Can’t wait to see what happens next. Sounds like another great adventure! Congrats on the new addition! Cheers!

4. Alexi Says:

Jenn!! I’ve been waiting two years to see these pics and you certainly did not disappoint. I’m so impressed by all the work you and Brent did to transform your home on wheels. And as a long-time RV lover (it’s been my “dream home” since the age of like, 10) I live vicariously through you – and these pics just made it all so much more real. Thanks for sharing. And good luck on the next transition!

PS. Alex and I will be in Austin at the end of the month, so it’s a bummer we’ll have missed you by just a few weeks :)

5. Andrea Says:

Wow, it doesn’t even look like an rv! It’s fantastic. I’m sure your next one will have plenty of memories and will feel just as much like home. Best of luck!

6. Carbzilla Says:

Oh Jenn – It’s so fantastic. So excited to hear where the rest of your adventure takes you. Say Hi if you’re ever back in the Seattle area.
    - Tiffany

7. Miki Garrety Says:

Wow, I forgot about all the little details.. I LOVE that RV!! :) What a blessing to the next owner.. I am looking forward to seeing/reading the next chapters of what life has in store for your growing family my friend..
    Your pictures and posts always bring a warmth to my heart.. I am so glad that God has kept us cconnected over all this time and distance..
    Good luck on your U-haul drive.. and happy hunting when it comes to your next RV purchase :)
    all our love.. Miki and the boys.. xooxo

8. Mary Says:

Love it! Great job showing us that even a small space can really be made into a home!

9. Christine Says:

I love your home and can hardly wait to see the next one.

10. Wanda Says:

Love the before and after pictures. The transformation is amazing. The new owners made an excellent choice. Can’t wait to see your next rig and to read about those adventures as well. Been wondering where all your critters are going to ride until you get your new home. Safe and happy travels.

11. Andrea@WellnessNotes Says:

You guys did a wonderful job with the RV! I’m sure selling it was exciting yet scary at the same time! I know you’ll find the right RV for your growing family soon!

12. Jana @ HowToRunAHomeDaycare Says:

Wow, you have fantastic style. I LOVE what you did to your RV. The colour and homey touches really creates a beautiful space. Lucky people who bought it! I wish you all the best on your next adventure (and growing family) and really enjoy reading your blog. My dream is to hit the road with my family one day.

13. Rhonda Miller Says:

Loved reading your blog and will pray for your family and in buying a new R.V. May God continue to guide your family and be used in great ways on your journey! God Bless and your excited about your new baby to come too! Rhonda

14. Deb Says:

Awww!!! OMG so shocked about how quickly you sold it, but not really as it’s 110% fabulous (LUCKY LUCKY new owners!!!) I can see why you’re sad, but I know that you’ll remodel the next one as beautifully and make many many more wonderful memories there as well.

It might very very interesting for you guys to live sans RV for a little while- wonder what feelings might be brought up (gratitude for having the flexibility and sense of home with an RV? happiness to be in one place for a short while??)

Gah either way I’m excited for you!

15. Missy Says:

No wonder it sold so quickly! Gorgeous! Fabulous style! I know it’s sad because there are so many memories there, but there will be so many more to come in your new bigger home. I love all of your special touches – especially the Lego I love u!! Too cute. I can’t wait to see your new home and it’s transformation. Hate that you have to cram everything in the tiny uhaul. I bet MeowCow is wondering what the heck is going on?!
    Be careful on way to Florida!

16. Brandon Says:

Congratulations on selling your RV! I found you guys through “Gone with the Wynns” site. I think you two of my favorite RV blogs. By the way, if you still haven’t bought an RV by the time you’re in Florida, our dealership is located in South East, Florida. We carry the Prime Time RV brand that is especially nice…particularly The Sanibel and Crusader. But we carry the Cardinal too. Though, I’m not sure if you’re still planning on doing another remodel with whatever you buy as we have some used ones too. :) Sorry for being “salesy”…I really do love your website! Let me know if you have any questions.

17. Nick @ Livin' Lightly Says:

Just found your site while searching for 5th wheel renovations. Great job on your trailer! We are toying with transitioning to a 5th wheel…

We spent the past 2 years remodeling a 1966 Airstream for full-timing. We love the little Land Yacht buts its pretty drafty and we have a bun-in-the-oven + a toddler so we need a bit more space.

Thanks for the inspiration! Would love to know what your ideal setup would be!

Cheers!

-NICK

• jennincat Says:

Hi Nick. Thanks for stopping by. Congrats on the bun in the over. We have a baby on the way too. :-) We also have two older boys, one teenager and one almost teenager. We briefly considered an Airstream they are so cute but realized it would be too small for us. We also considered a covered bus and a diesel motorhome. A fifth wheel wasn’t even on our radar until we looked at the cost of owning a fifth wheel vs the cost of a a motorhome so we went with the big obnoxious “5ver”. :-)

Our ideal setup would be a bunk room with 2 slides so we could build desks under each bed for the boys. We want them to have their own study/creative/being spaces especially as they adjust to having a lithe one around. The next priority is a space where we can set up an “office” for Brent. He’s a web designer and it’s important that he has a space where he can work peacefully. Other things we’d love but aren’t necessary are 2 slides in the main room with a large kitchen counter, a 12 cubic foot fridge (our 8 is tight with 4 people with big appetites!), a enclosed bathroom (our last one was split), and less than 40′ in length. However, we’ve looked and looked and nothing fits the bill perfectly. There is a used rig we love but it’s 41′ feet. Another one is around 35′ which would be ideal but the office space isn’t that great and the counter is teeny tiny.

I feel like we are being too picky but we sold a rig we loved to get something that would fit our growing family better so it’s important that it have as many features as possible to fit our individual family member’s needs. Also we have no idea how long we are going to be in it. We thought we were just going to travel for a year and hear we are coming up on two and half years.

You know we have friends who traveled in a airstream with two boys the same age as ours for 3 years I think it was. It worked for them. I just don’t think it would have been a good fit for us. Good luck with your decision. I looked at your blog (adorable family) and you sound like you’ll be happy in anything. :-) Feel free to contact us if you have any more questions. :-)

18. Suzanne Says:

Your RV renovation looks amazing! Very impressed!! Great job making things “homey”. My hubby and I are diving head first into full time RVing. We’re excited but boy do we have a lot to learn! I’m curious about two things…One: did you remove the old window borders when you installed the curtains or did you put the curtains over the top? Two: The wall paper in our used RV that we bought has ripples in it (from moisture I think)…I’m wondering if it is truly wall paper that I can just tear out or if it’s actually some sort of a veneer. I’m interested in re-doing the wall paper or maybe even painting but I’m very unsure what I’m going to be dealing with if I pull that paper off my walls. Any feedback you have for me would be awesome! Thanks!

• jennincat Says:

Hi Suzanne. Thanks for stopping by and how exciting about your upcoming RV adventures. Regarding your questions. Are you talking about the hard window borders that are sort of like curtains? If so, yes we removed them and filled in the screw holes with filler before we painted. Second, no we didn’t removed the wall paper.I don’t really think it’s wall paper in the traditional sense. I think it’s more like you said some sort of veneer and I’m fairly certain it isn’t put on like a traditional wall paper. I think it would have been a mess had we tried to remove it. We did remove a border that was put on like traditional wall paper. That was very easy. To paint we cleaned the walls very thoroughly and painted over them with a latex based paint. It held up very very well on our rig. Good luck and thanks again for stopping by!

• Suzanne Says:

Yes, the hard window borders – I’ve always thought they were so ugly! And for some reason, putting my own curtains up has always been the first task to make me feel at home in my new place. Thanks for the thoughts on the wall paper too. I figured as much but was hoping it really was just wall paper. Not sure what I’m going to have to do about the ripples…maybe they won’t show as much with fresh paint. Thanks for the reply!

• Sue Taylor Says:

So how did you remove the obnoxious borders? I have that chore on my to do list this summer for our RV. Thanks! Sue

• Jenn - Newschool Nomads Says:

The wall paper borders peeled off. It was easier than I thought. The window borders that are mentioned in the previous comment we just unscrewed and patched the holes before we painted. :-)

• Sue Taylor Says:

That’s awesome! Did you have to steam the borders are anything and did they leave a sticky residue? if so how did you get that off or did you just pain over it? Thanks again and your new baby is beautiful! Congrats and thanks for sharing all this cool stuff you do! Sue

19. gayle Says:

Can I ask where you got the flooring and what kind of flooring (vinyl sheets, peel and stick, etc)? Would love to know where i can purchase this. love the wood/wood look. Very nicely done.

20. Katie Says:

Did you include the curtains and all that when you sold it? I LOVE that curtain fabric. I think I told you that already.

Also, when are you coming back to visit?!?!

21. Cynthia Says:

I’m not sure if someone has asked you this question. You added a loveseat, how did you get it in?
    I love what you did to it! It looks so homey and we are going to do ours, too, soon.
    Cynthia

• jennincat Says:

Hi Cynthia. I’m a bit behind in replying to comments. That loveseat was already in the RV we just recovered it. However, when we recovered it we took it apart and it fit *sort of* easily without the cushions through the door.

22. Lisa Says:

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I love everything about this blog! hope you are feeling good and have a safe and happy(as can be) delivery.

23. Aaron Says:

Hello. Loved getting a tour of your old rig. Thanks. How do you secure things before travel? Is it a huge process to pack everything up? You don’t drive with that nice big iMac loose on the desk, do you?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. So…We Bought Our RV! | - December 5, 2013

[…] I think this purchase was just meant to be. We had the pleasure of purchasing from a full-time family. They were on their way out to Florida, after a visit here in Austin. We caught them just in time and met up in a Wal-mart parking lot. After another visit and lots of questions, we were sold. Even though we do plan on doing some renovations ourselves, they did quite a bit already. I don’t have many pictures of the inside but you can check out photos of the inside here. […]