Farewell to Full Time RVing with Family

February 19, 2016

Family, Family on the Road

Family on the Road in RV

Looking in rearview mirror of the last four years of our full time RV adventures, I see a road littered with memories…

PicMonkey Collage Stuff Before the Road

The emotional up and downs of going through years of stuff and young boys sorting through piles of toys pondering what to store and what to give away. Little did we know that they would outgrow them before those boxes would be opened again.

5th Wheel LOOK!

Thing 1’s face at the sight of our new (used) RV being delivered. The RV I had to decide to buy without Brent because he was too busy with work to go look at it!

Downtown Ventura

The lights of Ventura disappearing behind the mountains as we drove north on the 101 exchanging the known for the unknown.

Boys in Tree Houston

Chasing deer, catching frogs, climbing trees, skipping rocks, getting stuck in mud, and building forts.

Father Son Nakomis Beach

Collecting sharks teeth and seashells along the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Brothers at Fredericksburg National Battlefield

A trove of plastic gold Junior Ranger badges earned by once eager little boys who pinned them to their vests with pride.

Jennn Boys Couch RV

Cozy afternoons spent cuddling on the couch.

Family at Capital Washington DC

The history of our country coming to life as we visited places like Jamestown, Boston (where we were evacuated to an under ground tunnel),Philadelphia and Washington DC.

Snowboard Family Epic Mix

Our “epic” four months camping with friends and learning to snowboard in the wildly beautiful Rocky Mountains.

Hike to Delicate Arch Moab

Long and short hikes, steep and flat hikes, wet and dry hikes, hot and cold hikes…each one a stamp on my soul reminding me of the majesty of our Creator.

RV Walmart Calgarly Canada

Overnight stops in parking lots and rest areas where I forgot what was outside our RV windows because family, not a place, is home.

IMG_4089

Two pink lines on a white stick that turned a quiet morning after a long night along the coast of Washington upside down.

Dixie RV Heartland Gateway 3650BH

Searching for and finding the perfect new RV.

PicMonkey Collage pregnancy baby shower FL

A surprise baby shower thrown by a group of wonderful gypsy mamas.

IMG_1890

A baby boy born at home

Thing 1 Piano Alaska

The sound of Thing 1’s keyboard filling the RV.

family-key-west-to-alaska-ig
The 6000 mile drive from Key West to Alaska with a 6 week old baby.

Exit-Glacier-Hike-Collage-Alaska

Being surrounded by the sublime wild that is Alaska.

Lake-meziadin2

Pulling into campgrounds after dark and waking up to glassy lakes and mountain vistas.

remembering-nigel

A pug who made it to 49 states before giving in to his failing body and saying goodbye in Portland, Oregon.

RV 101

White knuckles and held breath while taking hairpin turns on Highway 1. (Note: don’t take Highway 1 to Fort Bragg if you are towing a 40’ fifth wheel. Take Highway 20 instead. TRUST me.)

friends

Traveling with fellow RVers and the friendships that grew.

PicMonkey-Collage-brothers

Big brothers bonding with with their little brother.

Snowboard Couple Epic Mix

Snowboarding dates with my love. (How I loved living in a small space with this man.)

Presque Isle Family Bikes OH

Bike rides through forests, down paths, and over desert rocks.

PicMonkey Collage friends 2 RV

The smiling faces of friends, from Washington to Florida and everywhere in between, who graciously opened up their driveways and homes so we could reconnect.

PicMonkey-Collage-Chess-Jenn-Thing-2-NM

Games of chess and family movie nights.

IMG_6654

A family who is now complete.

PicMonkey-Collage-Family-on-the-Road-2011-2015

Swimming with manatees, snorkeling, horseback rides on the beach, campfires, museums, glaciers, sunsets, battlefields, RVing at the beach, amusement parks, detours, breakdowns, gold panning, getting lost, boat rides, mountain ranges, wildlife, small towns, huge cities, a reality show episode, new friends…

I could go on and on about the places we’ve been and the things we’ve done but the last four years have not really been about places and things, they’ve been about simplicity and family.

A picture may be worth a thousand words but even that’s not enough to describe the love we have for our boys.

Brothers Jamestown Settlement VA

Our boys.

Our boys, who in four short years, became young men. Young men who tilt their heads downward to give me a kiss. Our boys who have not only grown in size but in number with the addition of Things 3 and 4.

Bradbury-Science-Musuem-Brothers-NM

Our boys.

They’ve taught us so much about ourselves, sometimes more than we wanted to know. Living in an RV has been challenging at times and every so often I wondered what the hell we were doing but mostly it was amazing. We wouldn’t trade anything for these four years spent exploring the country in the RV with our boys.

There is nothing we wouldn’t do if we knew it was best for them.

Fort-Union-National-Monument-Ruins-Brothers-NM

Even give up the life we love so much, our life on the road.

Soon I’ll share the details of why we have chosen to give up RVing with our family full time and later I’ll share what’s next for us but today I’m just going to remember and give thanks for the time we had on the road together.

Thank you for being part of the journey. We hope you stick around as we figure out the next chapter.

PicMonkey Collage first and last family

Love and Laughter (and tears),
Jenn and Brent

If you enjoyed this post consider connecting with us! 1. Sign up to have posts emailed to your inbox. 2. Subscribe to the RSS Feed or 3. “like” Newschool Nomads on Facebook  Simple dimple!

Like food and fitness? Follow along as I film a workout in every state and explore finding a healthy balance on the road at Girl Heroes!

, ,

About Jenn

I'm Jenn and I'm so happy you stopped by our little corner of the web. My favorite moments are cuddling with my boys, listening to the purrs of my cat, and sipping warm cups of tea. The smell of orange blossoms conjures up delightful memories of childhood even though I grew up in Indiana hundreds of miles from citrus groves. I love animals and when I'm stressed I dream of owning a goat farm. I love art, road trips, books, and food. Vintage clothes make me ridiculously happy. Red lipstick is my friend.

18 Responses to “Farewell to Full Time RVing with Family”

1. Missy Coleman Says:

Oh Jenn! I am moved to tears! I remember the first picture! I am emotional so I cannot imagine how you all must feel! Can’t wait for the next posts and in the mean time, I will be in the corner sniveling…..

2. Norene Nims Says:

This post is so very beautiful and emotional. What a wealth of adventure and memories for each of you! So touching! Love to you all. Nani

3. Kathy Donaldson Says:

Thank you so much for letting us in on your journey. I am wiping the tears from my eyes, one because I will miss all your posts and your adventures but mainly because your love for your family shines through. I am sure that the needs of your boys are one of the reasons you are saying good bye to full timing. Happy travels to where ever you end up.

4. Victoria Says:

Hi Jenn, nomads never stop — even when they return to live a “normal” life.

Wishing you and your family best,

Victoria

5. Andrea Says:

Having trouble commenting… Hopefully, the third time is the charm…

Beautiful post! What a journey it has been! I’m sure wonderful new adventures await you!

6. Angie Says:

Reminds me of Forrest Gump and the crowd behind him as he kept on running and running and run until one day he just stops and the people say ‘what?’

You’ll all have to hold each other up as you go through such a huge lifestyle change, especially if you decide to start public school. We homeschooled and then the oldest 2 of my 4 stairsteps went to community college and then transferred, then my 2 younger sent straight to college. Within 3 years our nest that had been constantly full of laughter, silliness, travel, music, learning, and love (and I guess there was arguing but I choose not to remember it) was empty and silent. It was a hard adjustment, and that was in an 1800 square foot house without the amazing travels! Keep on holding tight to each other!

Thank you for sharing your adventures. It’s kind of nice to know you have the crowd that’s run across the US with you supporting you!

‘I think I’ll go home now. I’m pretty tired’ FG

7. DeDe Says:

Jenn- You have inspired me for the past 4+ years with your fitness tips and mainly for the ability to pack up and just go! Sometimes I want to be brave and do that exact thing- travel and just “be” with my family. Good luck to you and your family. I’m sure you will figure it all out as you go and the love that is so obvious within your household will carry you through anything that could come- good or not so good. Can’t wait to hear what’s next! You ROCK girl!

8. Kelly Says:

What a beautiful post- I’m sure it was a difficult decision, but you have so many wonderful memories to carry you through! Anxious to hear what’s next on your agenda!

9. Jean in Southaven, MS Says:

Congrats on fourth little boy. Sorry to hear you are giving up RVing full-time, but I can see why. Lt us hear from you and see pictures sometimes.

10. Nancy Says:

Hi Jenn, your post is wonderful but also tearful. I’ve enjoyed following all your adventures. Many family memories were made to share now and later. Best wishes to you and the family on your next journey. Can’t wait to hear all about them.

11. David Says:

I’m sad that you are no longer full time. 🙁 having said that, you have to do what is best for your family!

12. Christine Meyer Says:

I have loved every minute of your adventure and wait to her about your next steps. It is amazing how much you can grow to love a family and it’s adventure and all of it will be missed but I am sure something wonderful is on the horizon. Thank you for sharing your life, family and travels with the world.

13. Joe Halcomb Says:

Guys, you have done what so many people will only dream about. And you did it with young kids and made more on the way and did it for four years.I’m amazed and impressed. Thanks for sharing your adventure and allowing us to follow along it has been a lot of fun. I’m going to miss your stories and posts, but you know even I’ll have stories to tell, about this crazy family that spent four years traveling the country in an RV with their children and what they seen and did. Be sure to let us know what your next adventure is, cuz I’m sure there will be one.
    Thanx again,
    Joe

14. Deb Says:

I’m so sorry that this part of the journey is over, but I KNOW that you will find happiness at the next juncture! I’m so happy that your family is complete and content. xoxo

15. Monte Hart Says:

Just met you today, and spent the last hour reading your website. Wonderful stuff! What a great way to raise a family, with experiences they’ll have for a lifetime; and you, too.

Anyway, welcome to Yorkshire Estates! Drop by and say “Hi” when you can, and meet my wife, Bonnie.

Monte

16. Samantha B Says:

I am a homeschooling full time RVing mom of two boys and baby girl as of February of this year! I am so excited to have found you for inspiration and confirmation that what we are doing is possible and worth every road block we have and will face. Thanks for Sharing you amazing adventures.
    Sam

17. Angela Says:

We are hoping to set off on our RV adventure this December and I’m already thinking about what the transition back to “normal” life will be like. We have two middle school aged boys and we are thinking they will want to return for high school. I’m so curious how your boys have adjusted. Would you mind updating us? Also, I have a toddler boy too. I’m just keeping in mind that when the big boys head off to college, off we will go again. So, maybe, you have a whole other adventure ahead of you;)

Thanks so much for sharing,
    Angela

18. Albert Says:

Наша компания по Грузоперевозкам в Екатеринбурге предлагает вам, полный спектр услуг  Грузоперевозок. Мы осуществляем ежедневно Квартирные Переезды, Офисные Переезды, Дачные переезды, Вывоз Мусора и любой другой сервис связанный с грузоперевозками по городу Екатеринбургу а так-же его районах и областях.
    Наш слоган (ВАШИ ГРУЗОПЕРЕВОЗКИ — НАША ЗАБОТА) говорит о том, что мы берёмся за любую вашу потребность к нашему сервису 8 (912) 212-11-13.